Sunday, March 20, 2011

Yum-Hum Pizza

A quick, satisfying pizza perfect for one, or two if you serve it with a big green salad. Easy to throw together with some basic kitchen staples, and easy to adjust to your preferences! It all starts with some quicky & easy homemade hummus. Then a quick flash saute of veggies (no oil necessary!) and then just pop it in the oven for about 10 minutes on a pizza stone (longer if using a cookie sheet.) To me, homemade is always better, but feel free to use store-bought hummus in place of homemade if you want to. And use any veggies you like!

Sun-dried Tomato & Herb Hummus
1 can Chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
3-4 Sundried tomatoes soaked in a few tablespoons of hot water until soft
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Sea Salt to taste (I just use a couple small pinches)
A few good cranks of fresh cracked black pepper
A few leaves fresh basil (feel free to replace with 1 tsp. dried basil)
Leaves from a couple stems of fresh thyme (feel free to replace with 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)

Directions: Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and let run until smooth (3-5 minutes), adding a little of the tomato soaking water as necessary to get the right consistency. I like my hummus to be thick yet smooth, as I prefer to use it as a spread.

Yum-Hum Pizza
1/3 cup Hummus
2-3 Scallions, cut into 1/2" pieces
1/2 Zucchini, sliced in thin half moons
3 Cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
2 Sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
Pinch hot pepper flakes, optional
1 tsp. Italian spice blend (or 1/2 tsp. dried oregano & 1/2 tsp. dried basil)
A couple dashes Bragg's Liquid Aminos (you can substitute sea salt or shoyu)
1 Whole grain tortilla (or pita)

Directions: Preheat over to 400F. Spread hummus on your tortilla and set aside. Heat a large non-stick skillet or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. I prefer to saute while I chop. I go in the order of the ingredients list, always starting with my onion and ending with the quicker cooking greens. So chop your scallions and throw them, while they start searing, chop your
zucchini, throw them in, chop your 'shrooms...you get the picture. Give the veggies a good toss each time you add the next veggie in so they don't burn. If anything is sticking you can reduce the heat a little (although I find it works best at a higher heat) and/or add a little splash of water (but not too much, you don't want soggy pizza!) Our goal here is to just get a nice sear on the veggies, they will finish cooking in the oven. Once they are all in add the spices, give a good toss.
Turn the heat down to medium and add the Bragg's and toss again. Let cook for a minute more. Pile the veggies onto the tortilla you have prepared and slip it onto your pizza stone. Bake for about 10 minutes until the tortilla is golden and a little crisp underneath.

Slice & serve!!



6 comments:

  1. I don't care about instructions, recipes, directions. All I wanna do is drool over the photos. I'll check out the recipe later.

    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth! Just got my new lens for my camera and I looovvee it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, I love your blog! I see a book in your future, especially if you keep taking pictures that make my stomach growl! What kind of camera & lens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy,
    Thanks so much!! I am using the Nikon D5000 with the 35mm 1.8/f lens (just got the lens last week and I love it, it's been my inspiration to start cooking and taking pics again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the Nikon Nikkor Lens - 35 mm - F/1.8 - Nikon F. Found one for a good price on Ebay. It takes great portraits and macro shots from what I have played with so far! And the bokeh effect is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete